Saturday

Wed 01 Oct 2008 - SKWID Training Part I

Subject to VSO returning my passport in the next few hours, tomorrow I will be leaving for Eindhoven to take part in my Skills for Working in Development (SKWID) training with VSO Nederland. Jared's kindly printed off my preparation materials including the IMF's Poverty Reduction Strategy for Nigeria and VSO's own Country Strategic Plan. I have four full days of classes and practical workshops along with colleagues from both Holland and the UK. I'll tell you all about it in Part II!

However Part II will be delayed as my father will be collecting me from the City airport and whisking me up to the Lake District for a short break in Borrowdale. I think the internet's found its way up there however whether it's in the hotel or not....
The last two weeks have been full of preparation - carefully planned with help from Glenn (the Canuck currently amuck in Fantsuam - see previous post). With the help of his comprehensive notes I know exactly what to pack. However I have a terrible dilemma. Whilst it's clear that a wind-up torch, a good quality laptop battery and sweets are essential items, wellies are noted as useful but not vital - and could you leave these at home?

A present from my good friend Sian, these glorious boots have never really been challenged in London but are dying to get splashing around in the muddy laterite of Kaduna State's rainy season. Keep watching this space to find out if they make it into the case...
All my other belongings that are not destined for Kafanchan are being packed away in marvellous SpaceBags and stored leaving me with three pairs of shoes and a pair of undies to live off ... Well perhaps a bit more, however what with the wellies (hopefully), crash helmet, Sobers (see below) and other essentials like sun block, hand sanitizer and multi-vitamins, I'm not sure what else I'm going to be able to take with me?

(The Sobers on the left is the one I'm talking about).

A trip to Lewisham's finest luggage discounter this afternoon is on the cards.

Can you wait for the next instalment to find out if the wellies make it? Will I ever get to Holland tomorrow? (my passport STILL hasn't arrived)... Log in next week to find out....

No comments:

Post a Comment